Employment Opportunity for:
The Clear Lake Environmental Research Center (CLERC) is an environmental non-profit organization based in Lake County, California. CLERC’s mission is to:
- Bring science, education, government, tribal and business groups together to resolve issues involving Clear Lake.
- Study the unique properties of Clear Lake and the surrounding area.
- Coordinate and implement programs and projects that focus on solutions to environmental and economic problems locally and worldwide.
CLERC is coordinating projects throughout Lake County to help combat the impacts of wildfire, promote healthy regeneration of burned areas, and make the unburned forest and woodlands fire resilient. CLERC will be managing a series of community-wide grant-funded fire resiliency projects including fuel reduction, reforestation, prescribed fire, prioritization planning, workforce development, and community involvement.
CLERC seeks an On-Call Biologist to conduct botanical and/or wildlife surveys on projects in Lake County, California. This person will be mainly in the field or CLERC’s Lakeport office with our other Fire and Forestry staff members. This position will be On-Call with potential to transition into a full-time role. Number of hours will be dependent on project needs.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Conduct biological assessments to support CLERC’s projects and programs:
- Conduct biological field assessments in compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
- Research or study basic principles of plant and animal life, such as origin, relationship, development, anatomy, and functions.
- Identify, classify, and study structure, behavior, ecology, physiology, nutrition, culture, and distribution of plant and animal species.
- Prepare environmental impact reports for industry, government, or publication.
- Research environmental effects of present and potential uses of land and water areas, determining methods of improving environmental conditions.
- Develop methods and apparatus for securing representative plant, animal, aquatic, or soil samples.
- Develop pest management and control measures, and conduct risk assessments related to pest exclusion, using scientific methods.
- Responsible for attending regular team meetings, as needed.
- When not working in the field you would work from CLERC’s Lakeport Office or remotely.
- Conduct outreach and build relationships with landowners and community groups.
- Represent CLERC, its partners and funders in a positive and proactive manner.
- Contribute to additional CLERC programs (as appropriate based on skills and interests).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE:
- 2-5 years of experience as a Biologist/Environmental Scientist (experience gained through education, ex. relevant work on research projects, may be considered)
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Environmental Science or related fields
- Willingness and availability to travel to project sites in Lake County, CA.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Experience working collaboratively within partnerships including landowners, researchers, public agencies, and others.
- Highly motivated, organized, and self-directing with the ability to prioritize and coordinate workload to fulfill deadlines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to work with a variety of people with diverse interests and temperaments.
- Strong computer skills, including Word and Excel.
- Physically able to work in the field (climbing in and out of streams, lifting, carrying supplies and
equipment, planting, etc.) during all seasons.
- Creativity, sense of humor, “can do” spirit, collegiality, flexibility, strong desire to lead.
- Valid CA driver’s license and current auto insurance.
- Prior experience with forestry or wildfire resilience projects
- Education in GIS and GPS
- Ability to work independently and a team setting
- Experience collecting and analyzing data
The On-Call Biologist position is a part- to full-time position. Some job-related travel is required and will be billed on a cost reimbursable basis. Salary range is $26-$35/hour. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply, please submit a resume, letter of interest, and names and phone numbers of at least three references to: Clear Lake Environmental Research Center, PO Box 636, Lakeport, CA 95453 or via email to email@example.com.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICANTS: Position is open until filled.
CLERC is an equal opportunity employer.